Getting outside to hike and explore has so many benefits, it's no wonder this activity has recently gained popularity. Winter hiking season is here and there's no reason to hibernate! There are things to consider and prepare for so that you can have a safe and enjoyable experience. Join us to learn more about embracing this next season.
This workshop has a focus on safety and reducing risks by preparing by packing our bags and layering appropriately. We will go over the Ten Essentials of hiking for the winter in this workshop, and provide a variety of gear examples with opportunities to discuss them and have your winter adventure questions answered. We want to help you prepare, and get out there to have fun!
This workshop also includes Backcountry Women's guidebook Prairie Essentials - Backcountry Women's Guide to Exploring Manitoba and Beyond ($20 value!)! Our Prairie Essentials Guide is a comprehensive (25 page) guidebook that covers topics including:
- What to pack each season
- Layering appropriately for your activity
- Footwear tips
- Bonus gear to consider packing
- What to know before you go, and planning for your adventures
- Travel tips
- Four legged friends on the trail
- Being environmentally responsible on trail
- Sample packing list
- Plus trail options to explore in Manitoba, including those for hiking, biking, skiing and snowshoeing
COVID-19 Health & Safety Protocols
- As per Public Health orders, registered participants will be required to show proof of full immunization against COVID-19.
- As per Public Health orders, participants must wear a mask while inside this facility. Masks may be removed during physical activity, while in your designated space (i.e., yoga mat, exercise space, chair, etc.).
In the event that Public Health restrictions change and in-person programs are no longer possible, programs will transition to an online format where possible. Refunds will only be considered in limited circumstances.